What’s a girl to do when she wants french toast but doesn’t like sweets? Ever since I was little I would always cringe at the prospect of french toast loaded with syrup, powdered sugar, and other sweets. And, yet, I’ve recently had this constant craving for french toast. Instead of getting an order of one that’s sweetness would comatose me, I decided to make a homemade savory version!
This savory dish features:
1/4 of a red onion
1/2 tbsp of olive oil
2 slices of whole wheat bread
3 cloves of garlic (minced)
2″ x 1″ x 1″ Slice of feta goat cheese (crumbled)
1/4 cup soy milk
1 tsp basil
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1. Coarsely chop the onions–you want to make sure that the pieces aren’t too small or they will burn in the pan. Turn on your burner to a low-medium heat, place the sauce pan on there, and then add your oil to the pan. Wait about 30 seconds to a minute before adding the onions. Stir them a bit, and then turn your attention to the batter.
2. The batter: combine the eggs, soy milk, crumbled feta, basil, and minced garlic in a bowl. Use a fork to whisk it.
3. Then cut your bread into four parts, as pictured above.
4. Once your onions get a slight brown to them (see picture) push them to the sides of the pan.
5. Then start the coating process. Use tongs to dip each 1/4 of a slice of bread into the batter, and then place it in the center of the pan. When you have four pieces fully coated and in the pan spoon about a teaspoon of batter over the top of each slice. Then flip it. Once both sides are browned to perfection remove them from the pan. Repeat with the second slice of bread. Once you are done with the second slice poor the onions over the top of your delectable savory french toast.
For those who are inclined to round out the meal with some veggies and fruits, I prepared a strawberry walnut salad. I mixed together a cup of spinach, 1/8 cup of walnuts, 2 sliced strawberries, 1 teaspoon of oil, 1 teaspoon of vinegar, and some cracked pepper.
I then cut a pomelo into thirds, and had that as a tasty side.
Did you try this recipe? What did you think? Feel free to comment below ^^